- Can horses eat moldy hay?
- Can you bale hay with dew on it?
- How long should hay dry before baling?
- How long can you keep a bale of hay?
- Can moldy hay make you sick?
- Can you bale hay at night?
- Will moldy hay kill a horse?
- Is year old hay still good?
- What happens if baled hay gets wet?
- At what temperature does hay combust?
- Does Hay get moldy?
- Why do farmers leave hay bales in the field?
- Does hay have to be replanted every year?
- What can I do with moldy hay bales?
- Can moldy hay kill a cow?
- What is the best moisture to bale hay?
- Can hay get rained on?
- Can moldy hay cause colic in horses?
- How do you keep hay from going Mouldy?
- Can moldy hay cause colic?
Can horses eat moldy hay?
Don’t feed moldy hay to horses.
Most moldy hay problems are from mold spores, which can produce respiratory disease in horses.
Many of the common mold toxins develop in the field during a delayed harvest.
If you suspect a mold toxin problem, review your horse’s nutrition and health..
Can you bale hay with dew on it?
To make good hay, enough moisture must be present to keep all the leaves intact. … In this situation, 13 percent is much too dry, and you must bale it at night with some dew on it to keep from losing the leaves or being dusty.
How long should hay dry before baling?
about three daysIt basically takes about three days of good weather to cure hay. This can be a challenge in late May or early June. A good strategy is to mow just before or right after a rain, because of the likelihood of good weather for the next few days.
How long can you keep a bale of hay?
You can store hay indefinitely if the stack is managed correctly; although, in humid climates, using hay within three years of harvest is ideal.
Can moldy hay make you sick?
What is Farmer’s Lung? Farmer’s Lung is an allergic disease usually caused by breathing in the dust from moldy hay. However, dust from any moldy crop – straw, corn, silage, grain, or even tobacco – can also cause Farmer’s Lung.
Can you bale hay at night?
Avoid baling when hay moisture is too low or too high to reduce leaf shatter and nutrient losses. … Drost says he generally starts baling at about 13% at night when the dew comes on, and quits in the morning at about 11 or 12% as the dew goes off.
Will moldy hay kill a horse?
Moldy hay can kill a horse. … And inhaled mold spores enter horses’ respiratory systems when they eat, causing heaves or other chronic respiratory diseases. Feeding moldy hay to horses is dangerous.
Is year old hay still good?
Surprisingly, old hay can hold onto its value fairly well if stored correctly. It should have been kept dry and out of direct sunlight. … Another worry for older hay is dust and mold. Even if you’re positive it has been stored correctly, it is a good idea to thoroughly check it over.
What happens if baled hay gets wet?
In summary: Wet bales are at risk for combustion, store appropriately and check temperatures. Anything above 170°F is high risk. Mold may produce mycotoxins, so roll out and let animals select good portions of moldy bales.
At what temperature does hay combust?
130 degrees FahrenheitWhen hay’s internal temperature rises above 130 degrees Fahrenheit (55 degrees Celsius), a chemical reaction begins to produce flammable gas that can ignite if the temperature goes high enough. Fire is possible in hay that’s loose, in small or large bales or stacks, and stored inside or outside.
Does Hay get moldy?
Mold and bacteria will grow on hay (without preservative added) at moisture levels above 14% to 15%. The mold growth produces heat, carbon dioxide and water, which further damages the hay. Moldy hay can result in dry matter and nutrient loss and produce spores and dust.
Why do farmers leave hay bales in the field?
If they are scattered around the field the farmer is just waiting for a convenient time to pick them up and move them. If lined up along the edge of the field they are being stored there. Big round bales can handle being left outside, and even if the outside looks weathered the inside will be good for a year or longer.
Does hay have to be replanted every year?
Depends on what type of hay your growing, Oat hay is reseeded each yr, where as alfalfa stays. Check with your local ag extension. Youll also need to have the equipment, or pay someone to do all the work… Not to mention the water, some crops take more than others…
What can I do with moldy hay bales?
If you can smell mold in the bale, make sure to open the bale before giving it to them. If there is mold on the inside of the bale, throw it away. Usually, horses will not touch moldy hay, unless there is nothing else to eat.
Can moldy hay kill a cow?
Hay or ensilage which has become mouldy can in some extreme cases kill a cow yes, there are some types of mould which can be extremely toxic and if the hay has been in contact with soil it can also contain some nasty bacteria.
What is the best moisture to bale hay?
22 percentIn general, hay in small rectangular bales should be baled at less than 22 percent moisture to keep molding and heating to a minimum. Large round bales retain internal heat much longer than conventional bales. Therefore, hay should be less than 18 percent moisture before baling in large bales.
Can hay get rained on?
Rained-on hay can be a suitable forage, especially for horses prone to laminitis. Forage quality tends to be retained if: The rain occurs soon after cutting when the forage has had little time to dry. The rainfall was a single, short event.
Can moldy hay cause colic in horses?
Here are the risks of feeding moldy hay to livestock: 1. Horses are impacted the most by moldy hay and can lead to respiratory and digestive problems like colic or heaves.
How do you keep hay from going Mouldy?
If hay is stored properly in a dry, well-ventilated, dedicated hay shed, the risk of mould is reduced dramatically.“Outside storage combined with loss of feed value due to poor digestibility can result in a loss of total feed during storage of around 25%. … Our free hay shed guide.Can I build a shed near a boundary?More items…•Oct 25, 2019
Can moldy hay cause colic?
Moldy hay can cause digestive upset that can lead to abdominal pain (colic), sometimes serious. In rare cases, hay containing toxic molds can cause life-threatening illness.